PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, February 9, 2012

100th Day and then some!

Today was the 100th Day of school!! It's funny because last year it fell on Valentine's Day with all of our snow days. Not this year. 


 This is the 3rd year I had my students make 100th Day t-shirts. They love it. It's so much fun seeing what they come up with too!


 This is the second year I did pizza fractions. It's basically an all morning activity and the kids love it. This is how I manage it: 
1. I broke my class into 3 groups of 4. 
2. They sponge painted a large pizza pie cut from poster board. 
3. They put the pie aside to dry. 
4. The students had to figure out how many toppings each student in the group needed to color to equal 100. 
5. Each student colored 25 pizza toppings which can be downloaded here.
6. They cut out the toppings and then combined them in a bowl. 
7. They sorted the pizza toppings and created fractions on scrap paper.
8. They then had to add up the numerators to make sure they did indeed equal 100. This was a great exercise. 
9. After they checked their work they got sentence strips to write the fractions onto. 
10. After lunch the pies were dry and they glued their toppings on. 
11. We finished up the day by having a pizza party! SO much fun :)


Thick and thin questions!


January's Snazzy Snack! Yummm. So fun and easy. 


Non-fiction text features anchor chart. Each day we added something to the chart then they tried it out in their journal with a topic they chose. We're building up to our big planet research project in March.


Thank you to everyone who has purchased my Solar System Unit and left awesome feedback. My students are having a BLAST with it. I hope yours are too. 


This month we have been doing a lot with inferencing and this is my way of assessing them. If they make an inference while they are reading then they write it on a sticky note and stick it on our inferencing chart. This has helped me SO much with lesson planning because I'm really getting a feeling for who understands it and who doesn't and what I need to focus on. 



Whoooo that was a long post :) Happy Friday everyone. 





Photobucket

4 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Thanks for all the sharing...I love it! Do you only have 12 students? (Your inference chart...) I have 22 (sigh).

Melly<><

Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

Ms. Durning said...

Yes, only 12!

Emily said...

Looks like a blast!

Emily @ Second Grade Silliness 

vicky1970 said...

Lots of cute stuff going on in your classroom. Love your blog and so happy I found you. I am a new blogger come on over and check me out. I taught 2nd for a while and now I'm back in first. You might also like my website too.
~ Vicky
http://www.vickymoore2.com
Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

Post a Comment