PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, January 9, 2012

How to Make a PBJ Sandwich!

In January I focus on procedural writing. The best way to learn is by doing, I think, anyways :) Last week each student wrote a "how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" guide, which can be found here. Today the students were given somebody elses guide and had to follow the directions to make the sandwich. Can I just say they LOVED this?! They also learned that it's important to be very precise when you are giving somebody directions!




I gave each student a dixie cup with peanut butter and jelly to make it easy.





Following the steps...





As the students were following the steps they made comments on ways the writer could have been more specific. What a great way to provide feedback!



And.... the best part... EATING it!

Photobucket

11 comments:

Primary Junction said...

This looks like such a fun lesson! I love how your students had to follow someone else's guide to make their sandwich. I can't think of a better way to teach students how important it is to be descriptive in their writing and communication. Thanks for sharing. I've pinned this to try!

Kayla
Primary Junction

Emily said...

What a fun lesson! You're lucky you don't have any peanut allergies in your room! I'd have to think of another thing to make :)

test said...

This is such a great idea! I love how absolutely organized you are in your pictures too! :)
I'll have to find a way to work around this with my peanut allergy....

Mary
Mrs. Lirette's Learning Detectives

Randi said...

OMG! Brilliant...I can't wait to do it this way. We will get to procedural writing very soon. I'm so excited with the idea of making them follow someone else's! Thank you!!!

Randi @ Teach It With Class
My TPT Store
My Facebook Page

Ms. Durning said...

What about cream cheese and jelly???? mmmm my favorite!

Hope King said...

Love when we make PB&J! Just found your blog! Where have I been? Ha! Can't wait to look around!

Hope King
www.shenanigansinsecond.blogspot.com

Lisa Lizak and Beth Wright said...

LOVE IT! I just did procedural writing with making hot chocolate with my kiddos and they really enjoyed it :) We will have to make PB&Js too, because those turned out so stinkin' cute! Have a happy rest of your weekend!

Lisa :)
Made In The Shade In Second Grade

Emily said...

My first grade teacher did this when I was a kid and I've done it every year I've taught. The kids always crack up when I put the whole jar of peanut butter on the knife.

New follower,
Emily
Second Grade Silliness 

Anonymous said...

We did this last week. We made flip books of the directions. The kids liked it, but would've loved it if I had thought to allow them to actually make sandwiches. Next time.

The Schroeder Page said...

Tag your are IT! Head over and check out why! It is not for the faint of hear:)
☮Monica
The Schroeder Page

Unknown said...

Love this, glad I found your blog! I'm a new follower!
Amy
TheResource(ful)Room!

Post a Comment