PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, January 3, 2011

Good Citizens Rule!

Well something good did happen to me in 2010! In November I submitted 5 of my ideas to Mailbox Magazine and I received a letter and gift certificates informing me that they are publishing all 5. This was one of the ideas. I just realized I've been bad about taking pictures this year. I did this activity with my kindergarten kiddos last year and again with my second graders this year. I love watching how their ideas develop. I did this in November when we were learning about Election Day and citizenship. I suppose you can use it anytime of the year and President's Day is coming up. If you have a tough class this year, you can even make him your "classroom citizen" and write all the different ways you can be a good friend and person within the classroom. I have one of these tracers that I got at Michaels. I always go to the Michaels website and print a 40% off coupon to take with me. Because I can't draw anything by hand, I printed a small version of this person outline and stuck it under my tracer to enlarge it. The tracer isn't the best thing in the world, but it gets the job done when I can't. You can use banner or bulletin board paper, but I used the back of wrapping paper :D I then added a construction paper hat. We brainstormed characteristics of a "good citizen" then I gave each student a piece of white scrap paper (this year I used sticky notes) then they clothed our new friend. Next year I want to use blue sticky notes for pants and green sticky notes to make a shirt. My students gave me that idea this year and it's a good one!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Congrats on your ideas getting published in Mailbox, that's excellent!

Ms. Durning said...

Except I can't figure out how to use the gift certificates they sent me and they haven't emailed me back.. Can anyone else enlighten me?? :D

Kathy E. said...

Thank you, Ms. Durning, for this awesome idea! I am working in a long-term sub job as a TAG facilitator and needed a project for a small group of 1st graders that are studying "How to Be a Good Citizen". I am tickled pink to find your idea!

Post a Comment