PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, July 22, 2011

Star Student

I've been so busy getting ready for the BIG DAY!! 3 more weeks and I'm married and on my honeymoon. I'm all kinds of excited :) In between appointments and *drama* I've been working on changing how I do Star Student. Next year I'm going to have a class full of BOYS... boys who are competitive... so I've been thinking about how I can really establish community in my classroom and have them at least be competitive in a *good* way. Each week my school does Star Student on Fridays and the Star Student in chosen based on our value of the month (respect, trust, caring, responsibility, love, faith, etc.). Normally the teacher chooses the Star Student but this year I want to involve the students. I made this cute little star box. I got the box at Hobby Lobby for $2.99 and painted it and added some *not too girly pizazz*.


I cut a slit in the middle  because I'm going to have my kiddos fill these out when they catch a classmate showing the value of the month. At the end of the week I'll read and share some of the nice things that were said and use these as a factor when choosing a Star Student. The Star Student gets a certificate (Target dollar spot) and takes home the class "activity bag" for the week. The activity bag has things like books, games, play-doh, etc. So it would be like "Johnny showed trust when he let me play with his favorite toy at recess." Thoughts? What do you do for Star Student?

Don't forget you can find me on Facebook!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Mary said...

I love this idea. My school does a similar activity except once a month. I've been trying to get a star shaped box like yours to house "star" raffle tickets but I haven't found one. I also like how you'll have the students choose the recipient of the award. I always feel bad when I have to make the hard decision

Mrs. Jones Teaches said...

Just curioius...

Are you going to try and make sure every student is chosen at least once? I know at our school some teachers go nearly ballistic at having to choose every child as a "star" student at some point. It's neat that you are focusing on the one character trait each month, though.

What happens if the students choose the same person several weeks in a row? I suppose you could 'fudge' the results by giving another student an extra vote or two.

Hmm... I like your idea, though, of the students being involved in the selection process.

Ms. Durning said...

Ultimately I will decide who is star student and all students will get it before another student gets it twice. When we recognize the students each Friday the teacher usually gives a little speech on why he/she chose that child and I thought it would be nice if I could read what other students may have said about the Star Student. They value each other's opinions and I'm hoping this will be a morale booster.

Ashleigh said...

Congratulations! I hope you have an amazing time on your honeymoon!

Post a Comment